Flights with challenging approaches for experienced aviators
Epic Ops are flights to airfields in mountainous terrain where you create the approach and fly it with any aircraft
Can you land at an airfield surrounded by mountains?
Can you plan and fly a safe approach to a runway with no approach procedure?
Take the ultimate challenge and use all your flight experience to create and fly an approach in zero visibility weather
Can you complete the flight with a variety of aircraft and avionics systems?
How large an aircraft can you land?
A deadly contagion is rapidly spreading in rural areas and medical personnel and supplies are urgently required by air. However, the weather is poor and requires instrument flight only and there is no published approach procedure. As lives are at stake, the aviation authority has granted special approval for the flight in such conditions … if you think you can do it.
Epic Ops provides flight plans between specifically selected airports and two customized weather presets for each flight: Instrument meteorological conditions (IMC – hard) and Visual meteorological conditions (VMC – easy)
While VMC weather may be used for practicing instrument approaches or an easy visual approach, the real challenge starts with IMC weather conditions.
The challenge includes planning the flight with an arrival and approach that you create
(there is no published approach procedure)
How will you plan the arrival for terrain clearance down to a final approach fix?
How will you fly a 3' glide path final approach on instruments?
Will it be a straight-in approach or is an offset approach required to avoid terrain?
Is a course reversal required to line-up with the final approach course?
You choose what aircraft you will use.
Is the runway long enough or is a short field landing possible?
How will you use your aircraft’s avionics to fly the flight plan’s horizontal and vertical path?
Can you complete the flight with a variety of different aircraft?
It’s all up to you
- Region: Crown Mountains, British Columbia, Canada
- 10 flight plans: 5 destination airports each with 2 flights from different departure airports requiring different planned arrivals
- Flight plans consist of specifically selected destinations and departures. Intermediate waypoint planning is determined by you
- Customized weather presets for each flight each with two options: IMC (hard) and VMC (easy)
- Weather may also include scattered rain squalls that may inhibit runway visual contact (go-around?)
- Flight plans can be loaded using the simulator’s World Map, although it is recommended to use an external flight planner for flight plan editing. For example, Little Navmap (freeware)
- Edit the flight plan to create a safe approach taking into account the surrounding terrain
- Information is provided regarding use of custom waypoints and general hints for flight planning and aircraft operation (Further information Custom Approach Procedure article)
- Can be flown with any aircraft (larger aircraft may require short field landing operation e.g. A320, 737)
- All simulator flight options are available: start at gate/ramp or runway, time of day, AI traffic etc
- Fly with friends in multiplayer (all players to purchase product)
- No conflict with add-ons. Works with custom airports
- Installation: place the provided folder in the simulator's Community folder (installs the weather presets)
- Installation instructions provided
- User Manual and Flight Briefing documents included
Flight Plan files (PLN format), Weather Preset files (WPR format), a Flight Briefing document, a User Manual and Installation instructions.
Is this a bush trip or a landing challenge?
This is not a bush trip or landing challenge and does not show up in the “activities” section or have any extra audio files that play during the flight.
What’s the purpose?
The purpose is to provide flight plans between specifically selected departure and arrival airports and custom created weather presets where an experienced flight simmer can apply their knowledge and skills in flight planning and approach procedures for a challenging and rewarding flight experience.
Can less experienced players use this?
Although the intent of this product is for experienced flight simmers using IMC weather conditions, you can still fly from departure to destination using the visual weather preset (VMC – Easy) and conduct a visual approach while enjoying the mountain scenery.
Epic Ops - Canada - Crown Mountains
US $9.95 | EUR €9.60 | GBP £7.95 (estimates only)
Content: 10 Flight Plans each with two custom Weather Presets - IMC (hard) & VMC (easy). User Manual, Flight Briefings and Installation Instructions
Requirements: Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020
Get notified of new products and promotions directly to your inbox.